Demo SIte Customization

Hello everyone,

I have been working on this for about 4 days, and I feel like a total goof for not being able to get it to work. I wanted to use the demo kirby site, but without the microsite and restaurant elements. I have been trying to move the files around, and edit it, so that the Agency stuff is the homepage. I am building a website for a professional organization networking group. I even tried to just rename the demo pages but I don’t seem to be able to.

The reason I want the Agency layout is because, as I mentioned, it is a group with members and projects so it looked like this would be perfect for showing off what we do. I really love the User accounts that aren’t tied to panel users. I can show our member list and since our officers rotate I don’t have to worry about people being in and out all the time. It is just a clean, solid interface until we can build on it.

Is there anyone who can give me some guidance? I feel at my wit’s end.

To make another page but the home folder the home page, you can set this in the /site/config/config.php file:

return [
  'home' => 'agency'
];

Pages you don’t need (microsite and restaurant), you can remove from the file system.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your kind reply! Do I put this in the return that is already in config.php or do I make a separate return section?

Inside the existing return, i.e. just the setting itself. Every additional return statement after the first would be ignored.

1 Like

Sorry for bothering you again, @texnixe, yet I am encountering an error and I hope you may help me. I have put the ‘home’ => ‘agency’ line into the config.php as you suggested. This is part of my config.php:

<?php

return [
  'debug' => false,
  'panel' => [
'css' => 'assets/css/panel.css'
  ],
  'home' => 'agency'
  'kirby' => [
'blog' => [
  'date' => 'd M, Y',
  'pagination' => [
    'limit' => 6
  ]
]
  ],
  'thumbs' => [
'driver' => 'im',
  ],
  'routes' => [
[

When I attempt to go to the homepage, my browser gives me the following error: ! ) Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘‘kirby’’ (T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING), expecting ‘]’ in /Users/ellean/Public/site/config/config.php on line 9

The line number changes depending on where I put the ‘home’ setting. Could you please advise on how to fix this error?

Instead of

write

'home' => 'agency',

It is the “,”!

@fatmushroom What sort of editor do you use to edit your files? A good editor with a code linter will highlight syntax issues in your code while you type.

1 Like

Thank you! This worked for me.

I am trying to use Atom as an editor. It does not indicate to me that I missed the “,” but it does have some syntax highlighting; Perhaps I do not know how to read it yet. I will look into the feature more to see if I can find further info. Thank you for your continued assistance.