Deleting a page with subpages that have 'delete:false'

This seems like a no-no from the start, but ĀæCan I prevent a subpage to be individually deleted, while allowing it to be deleted along its parent?

Consider a page structure such as:

editions (delete: false)
    edition (delete: true)
        exhibitions (delete: false)
            exhibition A (delete: true)
            exhibition B (delete: true)
        performances (delete: false)
            performance A (delete: true)

Iā€™d want to avoid users deleting categories such as ā€˜editionsā€™ ā€˜exhibitionsā€™ or ā€˜performancesā€™ while Iā€™d still want them to be able to delete items such as ā€˜editionā€™,ā€˜exhibitionā€™ or ā€˜performanceā€™.

The problem is that the item ā€˜editionā€™ cannot be deleted because it contains the categories ā€˜exhibitionsā€™ and ā€˜performancesā€™ which cannot be deleted.

In this particular case permissions are not a solution because both the ability to delete itesm and the prohibition to delete categories affect the same type of user.

Thank you

The only thing I can think of it to set delete to true for all pages, but then use a hook to throw an error if a user tries to delete an item they are not allowed to delete. Downside of this approach is that the option is still available in the menu and the no-no only comes when the user tries to execute the option.

Or you could do delete: false on the edition as well, but add a ā€œCancel the editionā€ or whatever button to the edition blueprint which forces the deletion of the edition

Thank you both @texnixe and @adamkiss .

Would a ā€˜page.delete:beforeā€™ hook allow me to capture the ā€˜editionā€™ page delete attempt before it triggers an error on the subpages ?

If the answer is ā€˜yesā€™, would there be any way to cancel such attempt and trigger another one which would impersonate the kirby user.

If even possible, too much of a hack :confused: ?