Create users manually without the panel?

I am considering kirby3 for a new project. I would like to create a very basic website without the panel (no panel folder) but i would like to still be able to protect some pages i.e. not make them available without a password. Different sections would require a different password.

Do I need to fall back to manually hacking together different htaccess files or is there a way to manually create kirby users without the panel? Is there a file-level way to make users?

I checked the forum and the kirby docs here: https://getkirby.com/docs/guide/users/managing-users but is does not mention the creation of users without the panel, just user roles.

Can somebody please point me in the right direction?

You can create new users programmatically, yes. Creating them manually would be a bit of a pain because you would have to hash the passwords.

Note that you cannot remove the Panel folder, but you can disable the Panel in your config file.

Thank you very much for your quick response!

The last time I worked with kirby was at version 2, I believe. I am running several older kirby installs without the panel folder. Do I understand you correctly that this is no longer supported in version 3? I did see the method to disable the panel and I guess that could work. However, if I have the panel folder there (i.e. installed) then I may as well use it to create the users. I guess that means my question is answered, in a way. Thanks.

The Panel folder is now part of the kirby folder and as such, it cannot be removed, or at least it doesn’t make sense, because of updating your installation.

But as I said, if you disable it, then that’s just as well. Or you only enable it via the config to create users, if you don’t want to expose the Panel. Or you create users on a local install and move the accounts over to the production server.