Don't require title in the blueprint

@texnixe @lukasbestle I usually tend to agree with you but this time I don’t.

Error message in the panel

If I don’t add title in the blueprint it says in the panel something like this…

Title is missing in blueprint, can't show your fields

Now in the panel I can’t do a thing before I add a title to my blueprint. It’s totally locked. Why not fallback to the slug in this case? Why force me to add content that I don’t use, other than beautifying the panel?

What if it was not required in the first place?

Think like this. If from the start the blueprint “title” was not required. You are as free as a bird to use your own fields. Suddenly with Kirby 2.1 the “title” field is now required. What would you think? How would you react?

I bet you would think that it could be a good thing, but that it should be optional, not forced.

SEO aspect

I work on an SEO company. I often use fields like this…

seo_title
seo_description
page_title
excerpt_title

In my setup there are no such thing as “title”. That’s too general. I have different titles depending on if it’s an archive page or a single page. The SEO title falls back to the page_title.

Waste of space

When having a “title” in the text file it takes up space. That is bad if you never use it on the frontend. As once heard: “Bytes cost money”.

Now the “title” does not only take up space in a single page, but in all pages across the whole site.

Don’t force fields

In conclusion. Don’t force fields, make them optional. When using Kirby I feel free as a bird most of the times, but this time I feel locked in.