Behind the scenes

Hey everybody,

I feel like I should post some updates and explanations why I’m not around often enough at the moment.

@distantnative has started a fantastic series of new features for 2.2 and I thought we could get it out to you pretty quickly, but then I realized that there’s too much old cruft in the panel, which should be cleaned up first before we stack more features on top of it. Especially the permission features Nico has been working on, come with a lot of new code and complexity and I think it’s very important to put that on a rock solid basis.

I get a lot of feedback from you that one of Kirby’s most important “features” is the lack of bloat and I will do everything to keep it that way.

That’s why I sat down over the last weeks, decrufting the panel. That includes more than 100kb less Javascript, cleaner controllers, a new way to handle models (pages, files, users), tons of other clean-ups and a whole new set of tests.

I’m in the middle of wrapping all this up but still need a bit to release it.

I really hope for your patience and can’t wait to show you what’s new.

Cheers, Bastian

27 Likes

I don’t want to be “that guy,” but pretty soon I need to set up the ability for users to edit, but be limited to certain areas of the site. Is that something the permissions feature in 2.2 will support? And if so, do you have a rough ETA on 2.2?

I’m not trying to apply too much pressure. I have ideas to accomplish what I need without that, but it would be nice if I didn’t have to build something. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m really sorry, but I can’t give a reliable ETA at the moment. I guess I need at least a couple more weeks. A beta could be possible earlier, but I don’t want to set higher expectations.