A client has asked me about two plugins: A plugin to deploy content changes between site instances (e.g. from staging to production). And a plugin to create content backups in case a change is made by accident or if the data center burns down.
So I asked myself: Why don’t we combine the two use-cases into one versatile plugin? That’s why I created the Versions plugin for Kirby:
The plugin is built on Git, which makes the version handling very robust. Git’s features are however not exposed to the Panel users – the goal was to create a user-friendly interface that only provides the necessary features and is easy to understand and use.
- Create and delete content versions directly from the Panel including metadata (author, custom label)
- Export versions as ZIP files for local backup
- Switch between the versions on the fly
- Support for multiple site instances (e.g. production and staging) that share their versions and that can be deployed to from a single Panel instance
- Support for fine-grained user permissions
You can read more in the plugin’s README.