Update fields within `file.create:after` hook

When I upload a file to a files section, I would like to auto-assign a template to it, based on file type, maybe fill other fields too. I guess the file.create:after hook is the way to go, but I can’t get to work… It works whithin the file.update:after hook, but not after creating. Am I doing something wrong?

// general
'hooks' => [
  'file.create:after' => function ($file) {
    $file->update([
      'fieldName' => 'content'
    ]);
  }
]
// or in my specific case
'hooks' => [
  'file.create:after' => function ($file) {
    $file->update([
      'template' => $file->type(),
      'randomInt' => rand(1,10)
    ]);
  }
]

Thank you in advance.

Hm, that should actually work. Is it a multi-lang installation or single language?

multi

Ah, then you probably have to pass the language code in your update function as second argument: https://getkirby.com/docs/reference/objects/file/update

Best to loop through all languages in this case and update the file for each language

foreach (kirby()->languages() as $lang) {
   $file->update([
      'randomInt' => rand(1,10)
    ], $lang->code());
}

If all language versions should have the same random int, then you would have to define the integer outside of the loop.

Oh, thank you, I wasn’t thinking about that, because both fields shall no be translatable.

For some reason, it is still not working with the file.create:after hook, but weirdly does work on file.update:after, with the exact same behavior I would actually expect from create.

'hooks' => [
  'file.update:after' => function ( $file ) {
    $update = [
      'randomInt' => rand( 1, 10 )
    ];
    foreach( kirby()->languages() as $lang ){
      $file->update( $update, $lang->code() );
    }
  }
]

Well, but works, so I leave it for now. Thank you for your help!

Hm, ok, I only tested the code in a single-language Starterkit and there it worked. Maybe I have some more time later to look into a multi-lang installation.

Sorry for the late reply. In the mean time I experimented and researched my problem a lot, set up a excel sheets to mark under which circumstances something unexpected happened, filed a GitHub issue and closed it again after I found out, that the update within my hook conflicted with another update in another hook of the same kind :man_facepalming:
Looks like all updates performed sequentially have to handle languages the same. E.g. no lang-param, fixed-lang-param or loop through all languages. Otherwise they override each other. Makes sense…