Shuffle image checkbox

Hi together,

I’m setting up my first kirby and now i got stuck at tryin’ to get an random background image on every reload.

my css in the header is :

background: url('<?php $bild = $page->Background()->shuffle()->first(); ?><?php if ($bild->empty()) { echo ('../../assets/img/background.jpg'); } else { echo thumb($page->image($bild))->url(); } ?>');

while Background() is the checkboxes field in my blueprint.

Some ideas? Thanks so far…

Try

<?php if(!$page->background()->bool()): ?>
    background: url('../../assets/img/background.jpg');
<?php else: ?>
    background: url(<?php echo thumb($page->images()->shuffle()->first())->url(); ?>);
<?php endif; ?>

This uses the default image if the checkbox is not set, and else a random image.

$page->background() is just the value of the checkbox. You can’t shuffle that, and will especially not get an image object from there.

1 Like

doesnt work :confused: now I get the default image all the time i refresh… Whats the reason u think? Maybe bool() doesnt work

What is the checkbox for? Just to decide whether to show a background image or not at all? Maybe this works:

<?php if($page->background()->bool()): ?>
   <?php if($bgimage = $page->images()->shuffle()->first()): ?>
        background: url(<?php echo thumb($bgimage)->url(); ?>);
   <?php endif; ?>
<?php endif; ?>

okay I used your code without the “!” in front of $page and it works! Sorry my fault thanks a lot :smile:

Just beware that with that version, you will run into an error if you have set the checkbox but not image is available.

The img in the assets is the background if the checkbox is empty. The checkbox images is just an selection of backgrounds. Yes u r right now i go an error …

True that’s a problem…

<?php if(!$page->background()->bool() or ($image = $page->images()->shuffle()->first()) == null): ?>
    background: url(<?php echo thumb($image)->url(); ?>);
<?php endif; ?>

Still not sure if I really got what you are doing with the checkboxes XD I assume you select from all the page’s images the ones that should be used as potential background images. And from them you want to have one randomly displayed:

<?php $backgrounds = $page->background()->split(','); ?>
<?php $bg_key = array_rand($backgrounds); ?>
<?php if($image = $page->image($backgrounds[$bg_key])): ?>
<?php endif; ?>
1 Like

Of course I can only guess what he was doing with them, but I use them quite often when developing new ‘features’ like that to be able to switch between old and new behaviour without much hassle.

1 Like

Yea, but as I got it, @tommylee only wants to shuffle the images selected in the panel - but your solution shuffles through all images of the page

on this page are some more fields with images, so i cant shuffle all images of the page. So i made a checkbox for selecting images which are used exclusively as backgrounds. Hope u got it now :wink:

so thanks

<?php $backgrounds = $page->background()->split(','); ?>
<?php $bg_key = array_rand($backgrounds); ?> <?php if($image = $page->image($backgrounds[$bg_key])): ?>

background: url(‘…/…/assets/img/background.jpg’);

<?php endif; ?>

this works great and is exactly what I searched for