main:
		width: 2/3
		sections:
			section1:
				label: Hero image
				type: files
				multiple: false
				max: 1

Appears to work until I add another image to the page (in a sidebar). Then the second image also shows up in the Panel hero image area. Which I don’t understand because I’ve got both multiple:false and max:1. The hero image label has a cross next to it, showing something is wrong.

Should I use:
type: files (fields)
type: files (sections)

and if it is the sections option, how can I stop more than one image showing up in the panel?

Using a section for a hero image only makes sense if you assign a special template to it.

There is no right or wrong here, but a field and a section behave differently, and I’d strongly suggest you play around with it to get a feeling for when to prefer one over the other.

Wow, you’re quick to reply! Amazing support!

Using a section for a hero image only makes sense if you assign a special template to it.

I thought templates were for pages, rather than bits of pages?

There is no right or wrong here, but a field and a section behave differently, and I’d strongly suggest you play around with it to get a feeling for when to prefer one over the other.

Okay, as long as there isn’t a right or wrong way – and given that I’ve failed to get the files section to work (it appears to show all the images used on the page, not just one selected image), I’ll stick with files fields!

I wonder what is wrong with our documentation, where exactly do we miss out?

Thank you for asking that question. I’ll have a think over the next few days and send you a message directly.