Replace Comma with Space

hello

I’m building a Filter and need the Categories to be exactly like this:
data-filter="category1 category2 category3"

The categories are stored in a Multiselect field and I try to get them like this:
<?php foreach ($project->categories()->split() as $category): ?><?= $category ?><?php endforeach ?>

which gives me this:
data-filter="category1, category2, category3"

Now I want to remove the commas but keep the spaces. I tried
split(',')
but this removes the spaces too. I also tried to just add Space at the end of <?= $category ?> but this breaks the filter.

Remove the foreach loop, and do this instead:

echo implode( ' ', $project->categories()->split(',') );

split(',') creates an array from the comma separated list, implode() joins the array elements into a string using the given separator.

1 Like

Can the spaces in the array be converted to “-” to ensure that categories with two words can still function correctly?

As an example, I have categories named “User Experience, Data” and I need to transform it into user-experience data so that the filter can function properly. I usually use <?= Str::slug($category) ?> to convert a string into a slug format, but I am uncertain about how to integrate it with “implode” for my particular use case.

nevermind, chatgpt just gave me the answer:

<?php
            $categories = $faqAccordion->categories()->split(',');
            $slugs = array_map('Str::slug', $categories);
            $slug_string = implode(' ', $slugs);
            ?>

Replying, because I was looking for this solution too and found a one-liner that does the trick:

The more performant solution should be using preg_replace() or mb_ereg_replace() to replace the , (comma space) with (space).

For categories using only ASCII characters do:

preg_replace("/, /", " ", $project->categories())

For all others this should work (untested):

mb_ereg_replace(", ", " ", $project->categories())

See also: mb_ereg_replace in The PHP Manual