Panelfield blueprints validate: number of accepted chars lower than maxLength?

Good morning,

i use the validate: minLength/maxLength options to limit user-input of characters to 160 chars to a certain field.

But when the counter on the top right shows 160 chars, i cannot save the input. I have to go down to 158 chars to be able to save. Same, when I reduce maxLength to 100 chars. I can only input 98 chars.

Any hints?

teasers:
    label: 
    type: structure
    limit: 3
    fields:
      teasertext:
        label: Teaser-Text
        type: textarea
        validate:
          minLength: 10
          maxLength: 100
        required: true
      teaserimage:
        label: Teaser-Bild
        type: image
        required: true

I did a quick text because I suspected Umlauts. They seem to count as 2 characters. But of course, that doesn’t make much sense.

I tested with a latin lorem ipsum, so no umlauts :wink:
I also tried with and without markdown, but that does not make any difference either.

Is there a place for suggestions somewhere on the forum/github?
I would suggest to rewrite minLength/maxLength in a way, it does not count markups. Because as an Editor i would of course have a reliable number of characters for the Text i write.

Sorry, I made a mistake. So what you are saying is that despite the fact that the counter shows lets say 50 characters and 50 characters are the maximum, you still can’t save the text.

I can’t reproduce this in a fresh Starterkit, however.

Could you please let me know what Kirby version your are using?

You can create feature request in the Panel/Kirby/toolkit repos on GitHub.

Edit: You can also write your own validator.

So what you are saying is that despite the fact that the counter shows lets say 50 characters and 50 characters are the maximum, you still can’t save the text.

exactly

I’m seeing it on kirby 2.5.5. Have another page on kirby 2.5.1 where it does not occur. I’m going to try it on 2.5.7 this afternoon and come back to you.