One function for multiple hooks

Is it possible to write one function for multiple hooks? For instance, something like:

kirby()->hook(array('panel.page.create', 'panel.page.update'), function($page){
 // ...
});

I guess you could do this:

function foo($page) {
   // Function stuff
}

kirby()->hook('panel.page.create', foo($page));
kirby()->hook('panel.page.update', foo($page));

I haven’t tested this though.

1 Like

That’s what I’m now doing, and it does work

I guess it needs to be the following:

function foo($page) {
   // Function stuff
}

kirby()->hook('panel.page.create', 'foo');
kirby()->hook('panel.page.update', 'foo');

You could also use an anonymous function to avoid naming conflicts:

$foo = function($page) {
   // Function stuff
};

kirby()->hook('panel.page.create', $foo);
kirby()->hook('panel.page.update', $foo);
1 Like

I think @lukasbestle has got it. What was happening in @PaulMorel’s solution was immediate invocation of the function, rather than passing of a callable to the hook registry.

This is often a point of frustration in JavaScript, whereby a single set of parens causes the result of a function to be passed (foo()), not the function itself (foo).

Exactly. Immediately invoking the handler doesn’t make sense in this case and will probably spit out a warning about a missing parameter $page and later about a non-callable function when the hook handler is run.

I don’t get it to work. I tried this:

$save_revision = function( $page ) {
  RevisionCreate::saveRevision( $page );
}

kirby()->hook('panel.page.create', $save_revision );

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘kirby’ (T_STRING) in C:\wamp\www\revisions\site\plugins\revisions.php on line 74

This work:

kirby()->hook('panel.page.create', function($page) {
  RevisionCreate::saveRevision($page);
});

I want to add more than one hook so it would be awesome to get the first one working.

Update

It’s just a typo! It should be a semicolon after the anonymous function, just like in javascript. Maybe update your answer @lukasbestle. With that is works just fine!

1 Like

I can’t test it right now, but the original proposed code should work now as well.

I did not get it to work.

Work:

$save_revision = function( $page ) {
	RevisionSave::run( $page );
};

kirby()->hook('panel.page.create', $save_revision );
kirby()->hook('panel.page.update', $save_revision );

Don’t work:

kirby()->hook([
	'panel.page.create',
	'panel.page.update'
	], function($page){
	}
);

Don’t work:

kirby()->hook(array('panel.page.create', 'panel.page.update'), function($page){
});

Just in case, I tried two different ways to write arrays. None of them worked for me.

So, “I will definitely add this to the next release” somehow got overlooked @bastianallgeier? Maybe in 3.0 together with permissions then? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It should be implemented on the develop branch. Have you tested with the latest Kirby 2.3 beta?

Considering that the issue was closed in November last year, I would have expected it in the 2.2.3 version; there’s nothing in the changelog of 2.2.3 or 2.3.0 regarding this feature, though (although it might just have been overlooked when writing the changelog)

1 Like

Also the commit is missing. Seems like Bastian implemented it but did not push it. @bastianallgeier

1 Like

I can just confirm that I’m using 2.3 beta.