Multilingual images

We are currently working on a multilingual website that will feature projects. Each project has a cover image.

So far, so good.

Some of the projects are multilingual themselves and thus we’d like to show different cover images per language. While it’s easy to translate image meta data stored in custom fields, the files themselves are always considered global in Kirby – they are the same across languages. Our file section is set to only allow a single image because the users should not upload more images.

Is there a proven way to handle this kind of multilingual images?

In this case it might make more sense to use a files field instead of a. section. That way you can select a different image per language.

I once had to do a multi-lang documentation with screenshots for each. language (back in the Kirby 1 days). At that time, I solved filtering images with different. language prefixes per file.

1 Like

Ah, yes, that’s a good idea. I totally forgot about that option.

Question: Do you know how the files field behaves in a multilingual setup? If I select an image in the primary language, will it be copied to the secondary language similar to how text is copied across translations?

Should be, but you can change it like you can translate text. Haven’t tested this though.

Cool, I’ll try it out. Danke Dir!

1 Like