I am using the panel to edit content and add images in the panel for each article.
However, with the common practice of using images in the background of DIVs by using background-image combined with background-sizing of cover, I stopped rendering images straight into templates, but rather inserted them into the background of the link block or div.
Applying object-fit and I’m very happy with it. Also, I’ve realized that if people use images within their kirbytext that all works well, it is only with the template version that requires me to add in all the figcaption insertion code. Thanks again, @Thomasorus and @texnixe!
So I’ve altered my method of inserting images into templates to the following (this just grabs the first alphabetical image in the article Files field using the Blueprint preset of Pages):