Filter criteria for items in relation to the time and limitation

I wish you a happy new year!

In a previouse question, I have got the confirmation to filter items in a relation to the actual time with:

<?php foreach (page('concert')->children()->listed()->filter(function ($child) { return $child->date()->toDate() < time(); }) as $concert_item): ?>

<?php endforeach ?>

Now I need a limitation of visible items too. But the attribute ->limit(5) to reduce the items to five entries for example is not accepted:

<?php foreach (page('concert')->children()->listed()->limit(5)->filter(function ($child) { return $child->date()->toDate() < time(); }) as $concert_item): ?>

I tried it into the function too but without success.

Any kind of idea for me?

You need to filter first, then limit, otherwise it doesn’t make sense.

On a side note: Your code would be more readable, if you store your filtered collection in a variable first, then do your loop.

Thank you,

For a better understanding, because I’m not so familiar with PHP, here is a cleaned example which is not running:

<?php foreach (page('concert')->children()->listed() as $item):
                $item = $item->filterBy('date', 'date >=', time())->limit(5);
?>

<h2><?= $item->title() ?></h2>

<?php endforeach ?>

You cannot filter a single item.

<?php 
$items = page('concert')->children()->listed()->filter(fn ($child) => $child->date()->toDate() < time())->limit(5);
foreach ($items as $concert_item): ?>
1 Like

Thank you very much,

My mistake. I thought the complete data source is available and the single item will be managed by Kirby in the background. But now it is clear.