Fetch specific translation of content with AJAX request?

Hi.

I’m making a simple AJAX request to fetch some text content which is then placed on a page. It works perfectly fine, but when I switch to the German version of the site, the AJAX request still fetches the English text. How do I specify that the request should get the translated version of the content?

My AJAX request looks like this (simplified):

$(document).ready(function() {
  var teamMemberButton = $(".slider--cell.portrait");
  var container_teamMemberText = $("#teamMemberText");
  var url = "team" + ".json";
  //
  teamMemberButton.click(function() {
    var teamMember_clicked = $(this).data("member");
    //
    console.log("Team member clicked: " + teamMember_clicked);
    //
    $.ajax({
      type: "POST",
      url: url,
      data: { teamMemberURL: teamMember_clicked },
      success: function(data) {
        container_teamMemberText.text(data.text);
      }
    });
  });
});

It simply checks the »Team Member« that was clicked and gets the related text. The corresponding JSON template looks like this:

// Target Member

$target = $_POST['teamMemberURL'];

$teamMember_text = '';

// Access CMS

$page = page('team');

$teamMember = $page->children()->find($target);

// Get text of team member

$teamMember_text .= $teamMember->item1();

$data['text'] = $teamMember_text;

echo json_encode($data);

I suspect that somewhere I have to specify which translation of the text I want fetched, but I don’t know where or how. Thanks to anyone who can help me out :slight_smile:

You can get the content of a specific language like this:

$text = $page->content('de')->item();

So you would have to pass the current language to your script (maybe via a data attribute), then add it to your data attribute in the Ajax request, so that you can read it again in the JSON template.

Thanks! I knew that there had to be simple way like this. Gotta love Kirby.

Is there a way for me to simply check the current language the site is viewed in or do I have to add a specific data-attribute to all elements that trigger the AJAX request?

I could attach the current language to the element triggering the request like so:

<button data-language="<?= $site->language()->name() ?>"> My Button </button

Well, you could get the language from the URL or from the html element’s lang attribute (if that is set correctly), but then you might as well just send with a data attribute. Your JavaScript is not aware what language the server has delivered, it can only “see” what is in the browser.