Duration field?

Hello,

I am using the Time field for duration. Say, the duration of a movie, or a performance.

While it is ok, it has a limit of 24 hours, right? And we could be handling performances or even movies that last more than 24 hours (I can think of one that lasts exactly 24 hours).

So… what should we use for duration? Why isn’t there a duration field? seems like a must :thinking:

Thank you

Did you try a Number-Field and set the duration in minutes?

1 Like

or start-date and end-date for events witch duration is longer than 24h

1 Like

I have a plugin you might find useful

1 Like

Thank you both,

Setting time in minutes is a possible workaround yes, but not ideal imo,users such as an art gallery are used to do 1h 12’ 11’’ for example, which is similar to the time field format 1:12:11 , but would need some calculation to turn into minutes (or seconds). Better would be to use three number fields, I guess, hours, minutes, seconds.

Setting start and enddates would work but only for durations over 24h, not as an all-purpose field

@jimbobrjames that is a useful field, thank you, although I think it does not solve the 24h limitation of the time field.

Perhaps I should find time to my first proper custom field, extending the time field.

Thank you

Setting start and enddates would work but only for durations over 24h, not as an all-purpose field

Why would that be the case? You can have a date field with both date and time. And that point you can pick the same date and a different time. That would work for durations that are < 24 hours

Kinda like this

1 Like

Ah yes, that works pretty well. Good call.

Thank you

Although better thought, that, again, works for events, but not for, say, an ‘object’ that has a duration separated from an event. Like the duration of a movie or a performance, separated from any of their public presentation. As for a technical sheet.

Thanks

I’d create a custom field for that, maybe merge several number fields into one “wrapper” field and store the result of all as a single value.

1 Like