Deploy back and forth with Kirby, Git and VPS

Hi guys, the last days I’ve tried to figure out how to deploy kirby in „two directions“ and want to share my outcome which seems to work in my first tests. Would be great to hear your thoughts and suggestions. I made a little sketch to visualize what I mean with two-directional deploying. TL;DR I want all my code be transferred to the live-system after git push to the bare-repo (which is on the same server as my live-system) but still get any changes made with the kirby-panel be committed back into version-control:

Why should I want to do such a thing?

• I want to be able to edit kirby’s content/ on both my local machine and the panel without manually transferring/merging the directory on every deploy
  • It is a great thing to have all the content edits/adds/deletions even on the live-system under version-control to theoretically jump back and forth how you like
  • While developing on my machine I am able to test all changes immediately with real live-content

How does this thing work in general?
Essentially there are two main scripts bringing this setup to live. First there is the post-receive git-hook on my server which is executed after every successful commit/push to my bare-repo. Everything I do there is cloning the repo recursively into my sites web-directory if it doesn’t exist yet (I use nginx but it should be the same with apache) and if it already exists I just git pull to prevent unnecessary copying. After that has finished I start my file-watcher script (I call it remote-watch) which is the second essential part of my setup. What it does is looking on kirby’s directories which are meant to be changed (content and site/accounts) and executes a commit/push back to the repo if anything has changed, added or deleted. Additionally I start remote-watch on startup as well to be always on.

Caution!
This really is work in progress, I haven’t tested it in production yet nor made any thoughts about security nor performance. So use it on your own risk :slight_smile: Ah and for testing I’ve removed the kirby-accounts from .gitignore, maybe that isn’t something you want to do.

Anyway, how can I do the same ?
Okay I will try to go through the process with you, not exactly step-by-step but you’ll get the point. And if not, I’m pleased to give further explanations. Just ask :slight_smile:

Pro-tip: To make your life working with files on a VPS a lot easier generate a SSH-Keypair to login smoothly and use Atom’s remote plugin and editing files becomes a breeze. (The first will be described in the git-tutorial linked in 1.)

1. Create a git-user, initialize a bare git-repo and connect it as a remote to your local kirby git-project. I’ve successfully followed this tutorial.
  2. On your server create the file post-receive (SOURCE-CODE) inside your newly created bare-repo (at your-bare-repo.git/hooks/post-receive), fill it with the given code, set the variables properly, and make it executable with chmod +x post-receive:
  3. But before this one can work as expected you have to add two more scripts to your projects root: repair-permissions.sh (SOURCE-CODE) and remote-watch.sh (SOURCE-CODE). Fill them with the appropriate code and don’t forget to set the variables again.
  4. On your server install the package inotify-tools from your standard package-manager. I use Ubuntu where sudo apt-get install inotify-tools should do the trick. This is used by the watcher to be notified about changes in the file-system.
  5. Now try to commit and push your newly added files to your servers repo. I recommend doing this in the terminal, so you can be sure to still be able to read your git push log even after the process has finished. All lines starting with remote: are output from our hook. If everything has worked you should be able to read something like the following.
  6. If your local push is rejected from the bare-repo make sure you have fetched and pulled any changes made inside the panel. From now on you are not the only player in your repo :wink: If there is any permission error with your bare repo, try to chown -R git:git /path/to/bare-repo.git. Would be happy to have figured this out a bit earlier xD
  7. To let the file-watcher start again automatically after a reboot or crash of your server and not only on git pushes, login as sudo via ssh, add the file kirby-watch (SOURCE-CODE) to /etc/init.d/, set the correct variables (don’t forget SITE_DIR on line 6) and execute the following commands: chmod +x kirby-watch, update-rc.d kirby-watch defaults and restart with reboot. The watcher should be up and running now :slight_smile:

By the way: The remote-watch.sh script logs everything it does to a file called remote-watch.log, so have a look. It should look something like this:

What would be great to have as well?

1. A goal for the future is it to optimize the commit/push logic on the server, because for now every file-change is committed by it’s own because that is how inotifywait works. Maybe I’ll introduce a cronjob for accumulated but frequent commits. But with the current solution I am always sure to be up-to-date.
  2. Combined with my point above it would be great to have somewhat semantically named commits like „Peter added new site ‚Contact‘“. My idea was to do this with php which says my bash-script the last editor of a given file. How could this work?
  3. I am also looking forward to build a reliable test environment into this workflow, which would mean a test-branch which is automatically cloned/pulled into a test web-archive and can then be tested in the live-environment and deployed easily.
  4. It would be great to introduce some kind of environmental variables, that all these paths and usernames don’t have to be set in every bash script. But I’m the opposite of an expert on that field so maybe you have an idea on how to accomplish this.

I hope all my effort was not completely useless and somebody can profit from my explanations. It take me a lot time to figure everything out by myself because I’ve never written a bash-script by my own before. If you have a great and much simpler solution to my problem please be so kind and let me know!

Regards from Germany,
Dennis

3 Likes

Great solution! I have one idea for improvement though: You could also use a Kirby plugin to commit and push the updated content by using Panel hooks. I’ve used the Git Commit And Push Content plugin successfully in a project.

Uh thanks for linking to this, maybe I should try to implement the commit/push with hooks as well. I thought using git with PHP would become stressful but the code looks straightforward. So I could get rid of my watcher process but on the other side I would be limited to only changes made in the panel and not on the remote file-system. Maybe this isn’t a problem though, sounds like a not very common scenario if the panel is in use.
Creating an own repo for the content-directory is very clever as well. But on the other hand if I want site/accounts to be synced as well I also need a repo for this. I’ll think about it and maybe the middle-way is the way to go for me :slight_smile:

Regards, Dennis

Useful stuff, thanks! This is a bit over my comfort level, but currently I’m doing the commit/push/pull circus between my dev machine and our live site, so something like this would be awesome.

Thanks @sakamies. Understand that, was the same for me before, but figured it out :slight_smile: If you want to start with just the one-way functionality (push to bare-repo, automatically cloning/pulling the live site) you can just remove line 9-10 and 34-37 of the post-receive hook, add it to your bare-repo which should be on the same server as the live-site and edit the vars properly :smiley: You can even add the permission-repairing part inside of the hook so you don’t have to fiddle around with multiple scripts.