Custom language variables

Hi,

I’m using languages support for the first time.

I need to use language variables to make some strings translatable in the templates (ex: ‘Skip to content’).

I noticed that it only works if multi-language support is activated. And then the new text files include the language code.

But I don’t need multi-language content just translatable strings in case somebody use the theme in other language.

It this possible to do?

How to translate a Kirby theme

You can only use the language variables, if you have set at least one language in the config.php file.

If you don’t want to enable multi-language support, you can define strings in your config file, using c::set() and c::get() instead of l::set() and l::get().

I see, but in that way I can’t specify different strings for different languages.

I mean something similar to .pot file in WordPres, where you can add a translation for every language.

As an alternative, you could write a plugin with a translation function or class…

Ok, I just wanted confirm if Kirby core supports theme translation without multi-language content.

Thanks

@11bits:

I would add the needed strings as a field (type: text) for every string in the corresponding blueprint, may be of the parent page to avoid the same field on many pages.
Or add these fields on /site/blueprints/site.yml or a hidden admin-page.

Good luck!

That could be the simplest solution.

I like it, but the theme would not be ready for multi-language in case you want to add more languages in the future.

Thank you

If you want that, you can offer two versions of your theme: a one language and a multi language theme.