Why I miss WordPress... just a little bit

After being slightly pushed by Jens again, Iā€™m finally trying to answer some of the questions/suggestions here :smile:

1. plans

Iā€™m afraid I canā€™t be more detailed about the plans for future releases. There are so many suggestions coming in and every new release is just a set of decisions being made in ā€œreal-timeā€ while building it. I never really have a fixed todo list and even if I had, I wouldnā€™t give it away. I learned in the last years with Kirby that making promises has always led to disappointment or too much pressure.

2. Custom admin pages

This is on my personal list for a long time now. The panel refactoring was a huge necessary step to get there eventually. (next version or future)

3. Custom admin sidebar

I already worked on hiding pages in the sidebar from the blueprint. This led to a performance issue, so I removed it again, but I will keep this in mind (future)

4. Revisions / page versions

I thought about this a lot and as much as Iā€™d love to add it, it would also add so much more complexity. (maybe)

5. Duplicate / clone

Never really thought about this. (maybe)

6. Move page level

Yes, definitely on my list for a long time now (next version probably)

7. Change the menu system

I still think that the differentiation of visible/invisible pages has its place. I know that there are some connected issues for more complex menu situations, but this is easy to fix with structure fields in the site.txt to controll the main menu or multiple menus for example. This is in fact such a fundamental part of Kirby, that it probably wonā€™t go away. I know that there are suggestions to move the sorting into the files, but this would lead to worse performance and this is not an option.

9. Title not required

Yep, itā€™s fixed :smile:

10. Not all folder paths can be edited

Iā€™m not sure if it makes sense to mak all paths editable. This would lead to a lot of possible problems, but Iā€™m always trying to make the kirby, panel and site folders more flexible and this is definitely something Iā€™m open for additional changes.

I hope the answers help to get a better idea of the next steps even though there is no fixed roadmap! Thanks for the time you are spending on thinking about that stuff and asking such questions. It definitely means a lot.

2 Likes