What's your favorite editor?

i am on trying out visual studio code and i am on setting everything up…

my process so far:

• php linter/debug
  • ftp sync
  • autofilename
  • kirby snippets (would love to see that for toolkit as well)
  • vscode icons
  • sort lines
  • custom terminal

the settings themself are a bit fiddly so i have stuck at the very beginning…
anything else you could recommend settings/plugin wise?

vim and macvim.

1. Even though I’m an infant in terms of vim capabilities, it still lets me do really powerful stuff with just the basics. I can maneuver faster than a normal text editor without resorting to the mouse.
  2. Not really a benefit per se, but unlike what a lot of people think, you don’t really have to learn a lot of complicated stuff to start using vim. Just the basics, and then you can add more as you feel comfortable.
  3. Super extendable.
  4. I can do everything via ssh on a server exactly as I can locally, without having to set up FTP clients or anything like that.
  5. Free!

In the past:

1. When I was a novice back in the day, I used DreamWeaver. I started using primarily wysiwyg HTML/CSS, but having the text editor there helped me get into coding for real. DreamWeaver is actually a pretty powerful text editor with great autocomplete functions, which is part of what helped me start to learn HTML and CSS properly.
    1a. Somewhere in here, I started using whatever that CSS app was that the makers of Espresso used to make. Really fantastic app for previewing and building CSS, although not as useful once you I started getting into the PHP CMS game.
  2. BBEdit. Gave up because the syntax highlighting just isn’t particularly granular. TextWrangler and BBEdit got me into regex, though, for which I am grateful. For awhile, I still popped back into BBEdit for the Text Factories function, which is pretty cool if you need to chain some text processing together and re-use the same thing frequently.
  3. TextMate. Gave up when it became clear version 2 would be a long time coming if at all.
  4. vim
  5. Sublime Text (with vi mode). This was pretty good, but eventually I went back to vim because there were some features that Sublime didn’t implement that I liked to use in vim, and I didn’t want to have to pay another bundle of money for Sublime Text 3.