Structure : Get rid of modals

In the example you mention above, the order of the modules can be changed, even the submodules within a main module … problem is that you can’t tell one module from the other if the module is collapsed.

I did, but for now it has some issues (as detailed in the “Known issues and limitations” on GitHub) that made it a bad fit for my current project.
Also I’m not fond of the way it saves content in the .txt file, but apart from hacking core the author probably had no other choice.

Unfortunately, all these solutions - while nice - have their limitations, and the one main drawback from my point of view is that you can’t use a structure field inside them. What I like about the module plugin is that it does not use modals to add content (only to select a module).

If we had a robust core solution, it would really make Kirby even more flexible than it currently is. But who knows, maybe @bastianallgeier is just at this moment sitting there and coming up with some sort of genius solution for that problem … (we never ever know what’s next up his sleeve) :pray: And there’s always Kirby 3 to look forward to.

1 Like

I implemented an alternative to the modal approach in the last version of the Kirby Builder Field. I think it could solve some of the problems that come with modals (like modals in modals).

Yes it indeed solves the technical issues.
Regarding usability, it still acts the same as modals: copy some text, click save, click to edit another module, paste, click save… But I guess we have to choose between having a preview, or having the ability to directly edit fields. I don’t see how we could have both at the same time.
A setting per module to choose preview or direct editing would be lovely :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit: don’t get me wrong, this plugin is fabulous and perfect for some use cases (managing sections of a homepage, or a product page). I’m just focused on long form content these days, with a different workflow in mind :wink:

Did the two examples on Twitter turn into anything?

There have been a couple of releases since they were posted, can you confirm if the feature has been dropped or still in the pipeline?

Thanks

2 Likes