Image upload on article via phone

Hi,

Ive got a problem with the upload of an image via phone on an article. As you can see in the picture, I can only chose the camera and such other things, but I just want to use the default gallery of the phone. Why doesnā€™t it show up?
I know it works via Dokumente, but its more easy via the gallery option.

Best regards,
Jonas

I just tried this on my phone (Nexus 6P, running android 8 Oreo, Opera browser) and the same happens. Iā€™m pretty sure this is an android thing, rather then something Kirby can control. Itā€™s operating system behaviour.

A work around might be to set dropbox up on your server if you are able to, because you can sync from the photos app to dropbox, which will in turn send it up to your website. Just a theory. I think it is meant for doing the site as a whole, not individual files.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a Sony Xperia (Android 7.1.1) here and I get immediate access to a list of images to pick from, donā€™t know if that is what you call the standard gallery app (somehow this phone doesnā€™t quite work like normal, Iā€™m afraid, because itā€™s a rooted phone and there doesnā€™t even seem to be a camera app on it :thinking:). Iā€™d say it depends on your phone, on my iPhone, I can either take a photo, pick from the gallery or do a folder search.

Maybe there is a setting you can enable to allow access to the gallery app? In any case, this is nothing Kirby can change.

1 Like

Thanks for your fast answer even tough itā€™s 1am. Didnā€™t expect this tbh :smiley:
I will investigate on my phone then. Have a great night, both of you, thanks.

Have you tested to upload images/files to another web service like Owncloud or Dropbox? Is the behavior the same? Using Dropbox on your server to upload images IMO doesnā€™t really make sense unless you want to sync stuff between your computer and the server (it is more useful if you donā€™t use the Panel).

@texnixe Your phone is different. Most phone manufacturers besides Huawei and Google modify android beyond the vanilla setup that Google intended, in the name of making the phone easier to use and to up sell a particular feature. In the case of the Xperia phones, particularly the top end of the line, they had a tie in with James Bond over the last couple of years and whats a spy if he canā€™t take photos. They were keen to sell the phones on the strength of its imaging capabilities, so I am not surprised you have access to the camera app in places we do not. The other problem is they also move things around, I previously had an HTC phone that used HTCā€™s Sense UI, which is a highly customised layer on top of android that meant a lot of systems settings were not in the places they should have been according to the Android user guide.

The down side is you probably wait ages for software updates because they have to come from Sony, rather then directly from Google the instant they are released. This is why I gave up my HTC phone - I waited 10 months for a new version of Android, by which time the next one was announced.

@Liverto There are apps out there that allow you to modify the phone as much as possible without rooting it. I canā€™t swear to it, but an app like Nova Launcher might allow you to modify the default app selection for various actions.

1 Like

What are you trying to tell me, as far as I remember, that is exactly what I wrote above. I was using a rooted developer phone.

I am trying to tell you your phone is different even before you rooted it because Sony modify the stock Android. Your rooted image has probably also been modified to include it because I remember a couple of years ago people were rooting phones and adding the latest camera app because the manufacturers decided not to update it, which meant people were missing the latest android features. They basically had brand new android + old camera/photos app.

Well, Iā€™m well aware of that but that is the case with most Android phones, anyway. In fact, different operators also use their own modified images.

But this discussion isnā€™t leading anywhere.

The interesting question is whether the behavior is different with different upload services or not, so that we can make sure it has nothing to do with Kirby.

That was my point :slight_smile: It makes support difficult because they can differ greatly, unlike iOS. You canā€™t possibly hope to support all versions modified by all manufacturers. Personally I would only expect support for stock android, as google intended it, rather then the myriad modified versions that are out there.

I think in this case itā€™s nothing Kirby Support can solve, and the fix will be down to finding a work around or modifying the phone in someway.

Iā€™m going to try Dropbox later on my server to see if i can find a workaround.

Yeah, the behaviour is the same. Default in Chrome is always Documents and Camera. So itā€™s not a Kirby based problem. I tried it at an imagehosting website, so itā€™s definitely Chrome.

I deliberately used Opera with Kirby rather then Chrome, and got the same result. It really does seem like an Android ā€œfeatureā€.