How to pass a varaible between pages?

However, @bvdputte is right. It might actually make much more sense to store the collection page in a cookie or pass it on as a URL parameter and link to the real URL of each module instead.

The toolkit has the $cookie::set() and $cookie::get() methods you need for that.

Ok, let’s try that cookie. so I have a collection page with a list of items.

In the collection template:

<?  $collection = $page->title()->html(); ?>
<?  // cookie::set('collection', $collection); ?>
<?  $items = $page->items()->toStructure(); ?>
<?  foreach($items as $item_id) { ?>
  <?  $item = page('items')->find($item_id) ?>
        <li><a href="<?= $item->url() . '/collection:' . $collection ?>"><?= $item->title()->html() ?></a></li>
<?  } ?>

Same thing in the item template:

<?  // $collection = cookie::get('collection'); ?>
<?  $collection = urldecode(param('collection')) ?>
<?  $items = page('collections')->children()->find($collection)->items()->toStructure(); ?>
<?  foreach($items as $item_id) { ?>
  <?  $item = page('items')->find($item_id) ?>
        <li><a href="<?= $item->url() ?>"><?= $item->title()->html() ?></a></li>
<?  } ?>

A few more questions:

• do I need the cookie AND the url param when I could just use the url param?
  • Does it solve the SEO problem at the same time, or do I still have to consider the link to a default version?

Thank you very much for your help.

No.

Yes, if the collection is basically a list of links, we don’t have any duplicate content anymore. All collections point to the same page, so there is no “default” version to link to, anyway.

Apart from that, I don’t understand the item template. Where does the library param come from? Shouldn’t that be collection and the variable $collection?

Oups… Yes it should be named collection and I edited the post. Thank you very much for your help. You and Kirby rock!