Focus // Define an image focus point

Version 1.0.3

This is just a maintenance release. I changed the structure of files and folders and added a focus class. If everything is fine for you so far you can also stick to version 1.0.2.

:smile:

Version 1.0.4

If you are using ImageMagick and a multi-language site with a localized default language that uses comma for floats … this update is for you. Thanks again, @Malvese.

:rocket:

There are some small documentation fixes, too.

Thanks again to you for bug hunting, and for a fantastic plugin :wink:

1 Like

Is it possible to use it with other thumb-options, like grayscale?
Thank you for this fantastic plugin :slight_smile:

Theoretically, yes :wink:

The focusCrop() calculates various params which are passed to the thumb() method. You could use thumb() and calculate these values by yourself but this is definitely not a good idea …

But I think I can extend focusCrop() to accept a third argument $params (Array) which will be passed to thumb(). This would be much better to handle …

<?php echo $image->focusCrop(200, 300, array('grayscale' => true)); ?>

If you like, you can open an issue on Github. Thanks for the suggestion.

I pushed a first draft to the develop branch. Seems to work pretty well, but I will do some more testing before merging it to the master.

Wow, that was fast :slight_smile: I can test it on monday and then I can give you a feedback

1 Like

Hi @flokosiol,

I can’t get it to work. I’ve tested it with IM and GD, and the image doesn’t convert to grayscale.

<?php echo $image->focusCrop(200, 300, 90, array('grayscale' => true)); ?>

But I noticed that we need to set the quality. The following code would cause to this two notices:

<?php echo $image->focusCrop(200, 300, array('grayscale' => true)); ?>
Notice: Array to string conversion in /www/htdocs/w00b0859/mydomain.com/kirby/kirby/component/thumb.php on line 179
Notice: Array to string conversion in /www/htdocs/w00b0859/mydomain.com/kirby/toolkit/lib/thumb.php on line 175

Thanks for testing. I’ll have a look at this as soon as possible.

Please notice: I changed the third (so far undocumented) argument ‘quality’ to ‘param’, so that there’s no need to set the quality explicitly to use the params-option. This would be the new way to go …

<?php echo $image->focusCrop(200, 300, array('quality' => 80, 'grayscale' => true)); ?>

I will add a check here, if the third argument is numeric to keep backwards compatibility.

I think we should move further issue discussion to Github.

Version 1.0.5

Focus plugin now supports quality (correct filename), grayscale and blur.

<?php echo $image->focusCrop(300,300,array('quality'=>70,'grayscale' => true,'blur' => true));
8 Likes

Hi Flo, Thank you for your work. Everything works like a charme now :slight_smile:

1 Like

thank you as well. this plugin has helped me alot getting much better cropping being able to select a focus point.

1 Like

Thanks for the plugin, using it with css by multiplying the value by 150 to use as a background-position percentage offset. No real math logic behind this but it just works for me.

2 Likes

As of version 1.0.7 you can use the built in methods focusPercentageX() and focusPercentageY(). But this doesn’t include custom maths of course :wink:

Version 1.0.8

As suggested by @jenstornell*, Focus now supports forced coordinates. You can override the values of the field by setting focusX and/or focusY within the params array like this …

<?php echo $image->focusCrop(300, 300, array('focusX' => 0.5,'focusY' => 0));

The new version also fixes an issue with localized floats for default values (0.5/0.5). Special thanks to @ola* for the fix.

*It seems to be a „swedish driven“ update:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

i once did something similar to your plugin but using http://guillotine.js.org or https://github.com/matiasgagliano/guillotine. using that lib within the panel – hacking it al little bit – my customer had a preview of zoom and crop. i just had a custom file field storing the transformation json.

{ scale: 1.4, angle: 270, x: 10, y: 20, w: 400, h: 300 }
1 Like

Alright, this is a little experiment:

I’m really curious about who is using my plugin and so I decided to add a wiki to the github page where you can add your website to the list, if you are using the Focus Plugin.

So please let me know! Thanks in advance! :heart:

Edit:
I thought it would be easier to edit the wiki, than making a fork and sending a pull request. If you want you can just add a comment to this issue or contact me in any other way and I will add it to the list. Sorry for any inconvenience …

Do you want a pull request for the wiki? I use the Focus field on a lot of websites, including goldener-hahn.de and zieflekoch.de.

I am in the process of writing a case study for the Goldener Hahn, where I also mention the Focus field and how important it is for easy to edit responsive images: https://medienbaecker.com/blog-und-news/case-study-goldener-hahn (WIP)

1 Like

To be honest, I thought it would be easier for others to add something to the wiki. Forking the wiki and making a PR is a lot of work, just to add a few links :confused:

To answer the question: Yes, you can send me a pull request. Or just drop me line and I will add it to the list. [I did it for the two links you mentioned and updated my post above]

Wow. This is awesome. Thanks a lot for mentioning and spreading the word.

hey @flokosiol I’m experiencing a weird bug using Focus and latest Kirby version.
The plugin works fine until i use array('quality' => 85)

The I get an Array to string conversion warning coming from kirby/component/thumb.php

You want me to open an issue on github? Is it a known bug? Or am I just doing something wrong?