Biggest Advantage of Kirby

Yesyesyes. Can’t find better words!

1 Like

For me… coming from a frontend background with no backend/php/MVC/dry POV… learning Kirby feels much like when one learns CSS pre-processors (LESS, Sass, etc.) where you can dip your toe little by little and learn in your own time… gradually, by doing, instead of head diving, being overwhelmed by the amount of choices and never feeling like you belong or in control of your choices with the software.

Also the documentation is so reassuring and helpful… top notch indeed.

1 Like

For me the biggest advantage is…
This will never lead to any success. :smiley:

Thanks to @FabianSperrle stats plugin for letting me know my hits. :wink:

Apart from this, Kirby gets better and better the more I learn about the possibilities of Kirby. :smile:

2 Likes

exactly the reason why I stuck with it!

1 Like

I’m also more designer than developer and I’d say the same as @kdeckr - the Simplicity of the whole system. And all the possibilities that come with it. It makes me feel enabled rather than lost. And I actually feel like I’m learning something that can be of value down the road.

If I want to extend a Wordpress or a TYPO3 Site I have to look for available extensions. Most of the times you’ll find one that fits more or less and I’ll have to live with it and I wouldn’t dare to go searching how I could adjust it to my needs.

And if it’s just for using simple Javascript tools like slideshows or lightboxes. In the ‘big’ cmses i’ll have to stick with what’s available as a plugin. With kirby I just pick whatever I want and adjust the output of the content to work with the script. For me it’s pretty unthinkable to adjust the output like that in a major cms.

2 Likes

Related to the simplicity point, the system is small enough to be able to understand it, and it exposes all of its tools, so extending it is simple. The documentation is reasonable, but most of the time I just use the source as it’s easy to get my head around and there are so many undocumented features.

The router is elegant and combining it with page collections, tpl, response::json()… it’s so easy to build stuff.

Speaking of unique keys and redirects and such things. IMHO I also miss unique keys. However, the “uniqueness” already works in the secondary language of a page with

Url-key: slug-for-this-language

I wonder: why not use it for the primary language in the same way? Then:

• You don’t need extra routing.
  • You have a unique key independent of the url.
  • Changing the url does not have unforseen consequences.

Or am I overlooking something?

In fact, I used the URL-Key in Kirby 1 for both languages, but unfortunately that doesn’t work anymore in Kirby 2, no idea why that has been removed.

And I really liked that feature, that way, you could keep your folder names short (when not using the panel) and still use a more speaking URL-key

I totally agree with your conceptual and performance arguments, @bastianallgeier; but why not have at least best of both worlds, i.e. a mix between NoDB and unique keys? Having at least semi-unique keys at a specific path only would allow building up cross-page references (with, let’s say, the page field type) that do not break as long as you don’t decide to move a page to a different path.

Although i’m more of a designer than of a developer i love the logic, simpleness and flexibility kirby offers.

i just love this piece of software and i’m really glad Bastian is developing it so avidly! And last but not least the community here is great and so helpful.

1 Like

Yes!! As a first-and-foremost designer, I love that Kirby is so modular. It’s simple to start, and I can make it as feature-rich as I want. Perfect for client sites and side projects!