All documentation in the docs

Also when I search on Google I always use “getkirby” instead of “kirby”. Much better results that way! You won’t avoid seeing the odd pink Nintendo character though :wink:

1 Like

Speaking of the forum, a lot of potential documentation was lost when @bastianallgeier pulled v1 of the forum offline. I understand that there could be confusion between v1 and v2 code, but how difficult would it be to put the v1 forum as an archive up on Github?

You can download the old forum contents from Github if you want. It doesn’t make sense to have an obsolete forum with old stuff online anymore, in fact that would probably raise more questions than it solves, especially for newbies.

Often when I’m searching for kirby-related things, I still get google results that point me to the old forum. Obviously when I follow the link it’s not there anymore… I fear that newbies will get discouraged by this.

But would the better option be that they get the google results which lead them to the old forum with outdated information, they try to implement it and fail?

@samnabi: I guess that will be the case for a little while longer but eventually these search results will disappear from google search and be replaced with the new results from the new forum. That would not happen if the old forum was still in place.

I get happy when I find what I’m looking, but then not so happy when I found out it’s deleted. I think @samnabi has a point, but the solution might not be to restore the old forum.

The solution would probably be for someone with time to go through all the threads and look for solutions to potential problems. Many solutions for Kirby 1 will probably still work for Kirby 2 or with some minor edits.

The real problem might find the guy with the ambition and time to get the good parts from the old forum and put it in the docs.

But look at the bottom of every NEW forum page. It looks like:

I have asked some time ago
No access to the old forum?
with no answer…

My main concern is that the old forum was more than just snippets of code – it chronicles the early discussions of the Kirby community, and that’s valuable in itself. There’s no reason the whole thing shouldn’t be accessible somehow.

Each page of the old forum could have a warning that the code may be obsolete. But hiding it deep in a Github repo? We’ve essentially erased part of the Kirby community’s history.

Trying to find the right place in the Github repo… I went back to this commit which was before Bastian posted the announcement of the new forum. But I can’t find the old forum content? The forum submodule seems to link back to this new one.

If the old forum was setup again…

• Where do you think it should be put? Old location or a new one?
  • Should it be searchable in Google?
  1. If it’s possible to have the same URLs, that would be great. Cool URLs don’t change and all that. But it could be accessed somewhere within the docs under “Kirby v1 forum (archived)”

2. Hide it from search engines, that makes sense.

The first point 1 agree fully,
but I want to search in the old forum (with the NEW name of the first point), e.g. if I don’t know the answer to find answers from v1 is better than to find no answer, I think.

I agree with @HeinerEF! I just figured out a way for us to use Google in a good way.

In the title tag, add something like this:

OLD: Whatever the thread is about - Kirby 1 Archives

That way we can easily spot the old forum right on the Google search page. 5 characters in the beginning of the title to show us that this might not work, but maybe.

“Kirby 1” at the end for searches related to the old forum.

1 Like

I’m really sorry for simply pulling the forum without a replacement. In this case the first and only reason was time! I was looking for a better alternative to keep the archive but couldn’t find a single one that wouldn’t take me at least a couple days to setup properly. I had to pull it because people still kept posting stuff there, which I think is leading to really really strange results in general.

I will try to find a better solution this week.

Ok, I put some extra pressure on this this morning as I really don’t want to disappoint so many of you with just pulling important stuff. It’s still very rough, but there’s now a fully accessible archive of the old forum including redirects for all the old links. http://getkirby.com/forum/archive I really hope this will help you to find important old content again. Let me know what you think!

3 Likes

Thank you for this. Not need to polish it more imho. Even if the content is mostly outdated, it can still help people who run Kirby v1 sites, and sometimes even help with Kirby 2 issues (e.g. I remember finding out how to translate field labels in the old forum, before it was added to the Docs).

@bastianallgeier I just noticed newer posts are listed last. Would be a lot more useful to have the most recent first :wink:

ups :slight_smile: I just fixed it!

2 Likes

I agree with @Malvese, I think it would be better to have the newest topics first. I miss a search, but then the old search never revealed what I was looking for anyway, so my local copy is much more useful in that respect;) Thanks for taking the time, anyway :smile:

Edit: Sort order was fixed before I could hit the save button …

Thanks so much! Glad to see the old content has a home :slight_smile: