Unofficial Kirby 2.2 features

What is coming in Kirby 2.2? Here is what I’ve read about it. It’s totally inofficial so it’s just guessings.

Check if a field exists

In current version we can see if a field is empty but it will give the same result if the field does not exist. In Kirby 2.2 with the function $field->exists() we can know the difference.

Decrufting the panel

100kb less javascript in the panel and cleaner controllers + new way to handle models (pages, files, users).

YAML as pure YAML

In the next version YAML will not be PHP. It will be YAML.

Validation for structure fields

Thanks @Malvese for the info.

Frontend preview

I does not say but I guess it would be a part of the panel? This feature is probably not going to make it into 2.2.

More features?

This thread is a complement to Github. Do you know more features to be added in Kirby 2.2?

1 Like

I just wanted to mention, that there are already version numbers in the panel. I think was added in v2.1 (?).
But the numbers are a bit hidden in the settings menu.

You are right. They are already there. I edited my post.

YAML as pure YAML

In the next version YAML will not be PHP. It will be YAML.

I added this to my post.

1 Like

Improved and functional panel user roles would be the best thing to happen in 2.2, in my opinion. Any hints on that coming on the next update?

P.S. Isn’t ‘unofficial’ the correct word? Oh well, just a dumb observation, don’t mean to go all grammar-fascist on you nor to derail this thread. :slight_smile:

Changed the poor grammar. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh yes, that would be really, really great :joy:

1 Like

Looks like validation may arrive for structure fields.

Updated post with:

Frontend preview

I does not say but I guess it would be a part of the panel? This feature is probably not going to make it into 2.2.

Added then removed from the upcoming 2.2: “First preparations for page types”.

What are “Page types” I hear you ask. All I know is that it added a “type” option in blueprints and the default value was “page”.

Interesting! Why is this needed in Kirby? We control the pages totally by the blueprints. A page can already be anything we want?

Perhaps it has to do with sections. Just a shot in the dark, only Bastian knows :wink:

Yes, maybe. I just hope it’s not a limiting feature, like forcing fields. I also hope there is a way to control the sections area in a custom way, adding, editing and removing.